Cloud SQL MySQL 5.7 EOL

Hi, 

Recently i received a warning by AWS that MySQL v5.7 on RDS will be deprecated on February/2024,  need upgrade to major version 8.0. In GCP case, will there be any similar treatment ? I didn't receive any information from Google Cloud and I'm worried about production workloads.

I found this doc https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/mysql/db-versions?hl=en#major_version_deprecation_plan but i didn't received the deprecation notice alerting yet.

Thank you for all the community.

Solved Solved
0 6 4,037
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Update 4/15/2024: Please Note: No timeline has been communicated on support for MySQL 5.x. When it is, Cloud SQL will also publish a blog post and update the following page to reflect the version support timeline.

Please refer to Major version deprecation plan You can expect notification later this year around EOL for MySQL 5.6 and 5.7 on Cloud SQL

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Update 4/15/2024: Please Note: No timeline has been communicated on this. When it is, Cloud SQL will also publish a blog post and update the following page to reflect the version support timeline.

Google Cloud will no long support  Cloud SQL instances running MySQL 5.6 and 5.7 after December 2024. If you're using MySQL 5.6 or 5.7 on Google Cloud's Cloud SQL, you should plan appropriately. 

Hi ms4446, We have not received any email from Google that MySQL 5.7 Version depreciation. Can you please elaborate more on this? I have a few questions.

1. Is it 100% necessary to upgrade MySQL version 5.7 to 8?

2. Can we continue using MySQL 5.7 even after support is revoked?

3. Are there any changes Google will make automatically to the database if we do not update the MySQL version?

4. Is extended support available for MySQL 5.7, and if so, what is the cost estimation, and by what time we can opt for extended support? if extended support available what service will provide like bug fix, technical support, updates etc? and what would be the timeline for extended support? 

5. What is the impact on existing applications and configurations?

6. Any downtime?

Update 4/15/2024: Please Note: No timeline has been communicated on support for MySQL 5.x. When it is, Cloud SQL will also publish a blog post and update the following page to reflect the version support timeline.

Once Cloud SQL sends out a deprecation notice for MySQL 5.7, you will have a 12-month window to plan and execute the upgrade. If you don't upgrade within this period, Cloud SQL will automatically upgrade your instance to the newer version.

Upgrading from MySQL 5.7 to 8.0 can introduce changes in SQL syntax, functions, and behaviors. This might affect application logic, queries, or configurations. New features in MySQL 8.0 might benefit your applications, but deprecated or removed features might necessitate modifications. It's crucial to test the upgrade in a staging environment to identify potential issues and ensure compatibility.

While Cloud SQL aims to provide tools to minimize upgrade disruption, there's always a possibility of some downtime during the upgrade process. The exact duration can vary based on the size of your database, the complexity of your setup, and other factors. Planning the upgrade during off-peak hours or a maintenance window can help minimize the impact on users and operations.

Thanks for your answer. 

Is there any doc for study that case? the only that i found i have been sent .

Please refer to Major version deprecation plan You can expect notification later this year around EOL for MySQL 5.6 and 5.7 on Cloud SQL

Ok. 

Thank you so much!