How do I change a model/explore for a Dashboard

Hey all,

I have built a dashboard under project A ( model name: A) and now we have a new project B with a new model B. Underlying data structures are the same for both models.

I want to point the dashboard from Model A to Model B.  How do you do that?

Appreciate your help

Solved Solved
0 2 43
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @AnalyticsWorld,
Thank you for your question.

I think there might be 3 main approaches to do this (more info here).

1. Use the Looker Content Validator: temporarily "break" the old model, use the Content Validator to identify affected content, and then replace references with the new model.
2. Create LookML Copies of Dashboards: convert dashboards to LookML (if not already), find and replace the model name in the LookML, and optionally convert them back to user-defined dashboards as per this process.
3. Use the Looker API: Involves using API endpoints to fetch, modify, and update query references within dashboard elements.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @AnalyticsWorld,
Thank you for your question.

I think there might be 3 main approaches to do this (more info here).

1. Use the Looker Content Validator: temporarily "break" the old model, use the Content Validator to identify affected content, and then replace references with the new model.
2. Create LookML Copies of Dashboards: convert dashboards to LookML (if not already), find and replace the model name in the LookML, and optionally convert them back to user-defined dashboards as per this process.
3. Use the Looker API: Involves using API endpoints to fetch, modify, and update query references within dashboard elements.

Thanks for the suggested approach. Option 2 would be easiest one for me.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors