skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » DEEP ROOTS Sonic Installation Event

DEEP ROOTS Sonic Installation Event

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Fri, May 3, 2024 @ 3:28 PM

We hope you’ll join us for our third sonic installation and remix event for the annual international dream conference!

The Deep Roots Sonic Installation Event mixes the voices of dreamers sharing their Deep Roots- themed dream with our music to be streamed as a soundscape in the art exhibition space during the annual IASD dream conference being held this year at the medieval Abbey at Rolduc, Netherlands June 8 - 12.

Roots are not in landscape or a country, or a people, they are inside you.
— Isabel Allende

Like the roots of a tree, our roots connect us to what nurtures and grounds us, providing foundational support for growth and expansion.

What we are rooted to emerges in our dreams. Dreams of people, places and things that form us. The wisdom of elders passed down in liminal narratives. Transcendent dreams that illuminate connections with clarity.

Deep roots are the ancestors. They are with us, carried in our bodies, our beliefs. Our ancestors expand beyond our familial lineage into the lineage of our communities, our nations, our humanity.

Our deepest roots are an ephemeral umbilicus that connect us to the great mothers, Earth and her oceans, her lands, deserts and mountains, streams and lakes, plains and canyons. Our deep roots are dendrites — limbs of extension, expansion and connection that connect us to the universe.

Everything you see has its roots in the unseen world…The source they come from is eternal, growing, Branching out, giving new life and new joy. Why do you weep? The source is within you And this whole world is springing up from it. — Rumi

This dream-based collaboration enhances the dream experience as something new emerges through the creative process.

Submit files to either ccMixter or MixterPlus - which goes where?

At MixterPlus:

— Upload a written dream (prose, poem, lyrics) for others to record New Feature!
— Upload a themed image (for community remixing, MixterPlus YouTube channel, etc) New Feature!
— Upload a pell, sample or remix under Group Copyright

At ccMixter:
— Upload a pell, sample or remix under CC BY or CC BY NC license

Upload pells and samples through June 2
Upload remixes through June 6
Dream conference starts June 8

PELLS

SAMPLES

REMIXES

MIXTERPLUS PLAYLIST

Speck
permalink   Sat, May 4, 2024 @ 4:30 AM
Intrigued by the new upload an image feature.
How does it work? (I don’t see an upload button.)
Size guidelines?
Any guidelines?
How do you (the admins) envision it’s use?

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, May 5, 2024 @ 12:18 AM
Great questions Speck.Here are some responses:

Quote: SpeckIntrigued by the new upload an image feature.
How does it work? (I don’t see an upload button.)

You need to be logged into Mixterplus to see the upload button. It is one of the options for “Uploads”.

Size guidelines?
Any guidelines?

Guidelines (also posted at Mixterplus)as follows:

* Ideal size for YouTube videos is 1920 x 1080 pixels with 300 DPI

* If you want your image to be considered for album cover art, the ideal size is 4000 x 4000 pixels with 300 DPI

* Images must be your original work
AI images are okay, as long as you note where you created it and what your prompts are.
* Please include a title, an explanation of how this image relates to the Deep Roots Dreams theme, and a brief description of the dream(s) that inspired the image.

How do you (the admins) envision it’s use?

Videos, album/curation art and social media posts.

hope this helps (any admins with more/better info please feel free to chime in!)

permalink   Speck Sun, May 5, 2024 @ 3:39 AM
When I’m logged in and click the upload button I see three options - upload mix, upload stems and upload lyrics.

“Guidelines (also posted at Mixterplus)”

Where? I only asked these questions because I couldn’t find anything like that at Mixterplus.

permalink   Speck Sun, May 5, 2024 @ 3:47 AM
It occurs to me now that those guidelines are probably on the upload page I couldn’t access.

permalink   mwic Sun, May 5, 2024 @ 11:02 AM
My apology, Speck. The feature was set to admins-only while being tested. It should now be active for all M+ users.

permalink   Speck Tue, May 14, 2024 @ 11:00 AM
No apologies needed. I understand, and accept, that M+ is a work in progress.
Today I tried to upload a remix (with stems too) but it failed to upload. At least I didn’t see it on the playlist page. (Or under Dashboard: Library: Your most recent tracks:) I did receive a notice that someone had left a new comment so maybe the new upload did take, I just can’t see it? (I also don’t see any new comments.)
Anyway, I’ll come back in a few days to see what’s working then.

permalink   mwic Tue, May 14, 2024 @ 3:25 PM
The playlist page has a switcher at the top, because deep_roots material is being added at *both* M+ and ccmixter.org
Your “the trees are singing to us” is in the ccmixter playlist, and the “deep dream synths” is in the M+ one. I hope that is correct?
-mwic

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, May 14, 2024 @ 3:31 PM
I’m having a similar issue as Speck. I tried uploading a remix to mixterplus and its not showing up on the playlist or in my library. My remix uses mixterplus source, not ccmixter source. I also left a bug report. Thanks.

permalink   Speck Wed, May 15, 2024 @ 2:23 AM
Yes, those two are in the correct place. It’s a third one, with Mixter+ stems/vocals that didn’t seem to upload.

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, May 16, 2024 @ 10:45 AM
Hey — we figured out the issue. When uploading a mix to mixterplus, it is important that the filename and the title of the track do not include special characters such as an apostrophe or parenthesis. I hope this helps!

permalink   Speck Thu, May 16, 2024 @ 11:27 AM
Ah, ok.
Is this intentional or a bug/temporary?

permalink   mwic Fri, May 17, 2024 @ 5:01 AM
It will be fixed, and it’s pretty high on the list. Probably this weekend.

permalink   Speck Fri, May 17, 2024 @ 6:13 AM
Also - this mix that I want to upload contains samples from Apoxode and a spoken word from one of the dreamers. It also contains original material from me which I would like to upload as stems. Didn’t we used to be able to upload stems/samples on the same upload as the mix? Or am I misremembering? I’m not seeing that option.
Hmm… but I am seeing other recent remix uploads that also have stems uploaded. ?

permalink   Apoxode Sat, May 18, 2024 @ 2:33 AM
Speck,
I do not know for certain how long it will be until adding stems to Mixter Plus remixes is an option for users.
Right now it is possible for admins as we are beta-testing/troubleshooting this feature.
We are working on making it possible to help users add files in the interim.
At the moment, the only surefire way is to create a similarly named upload with something like “(stems)” in the name.
I get this is tedious, but it’s the safest way to make sure everyone can see, use, and credit your original work.

permalink   mwic Sat, May 18, 2024 @ 5:03 AM
I don’t think I agree with Apoxode 100% on his police work. This isn’t an admins-only feature.
If I’m not mistaken, anyone can add files to a remix that’s been uploaded already. e.g. Speck should see an “Edit Files” button when viewing his track at http://mixter.plus/myTracks...
I have just tested, and (at least on firefox) it works, and allows multiple stems to be uploaded at once. Your mileage may vary if the filename has special characters in it, so avoid for now.

What I think is missing is adding the “stems” category to a remix. The M+ database intends to allow any upload to be in as many categories (stem/pell/remix/sample) as apply. I will dig into this now.

UPDATE: There is a place you can freely type categories on the “Edit Track” interface :
http://mixter.plus/editTrac...
Categories (i.e. “remix”,”pell”,”sample”,”stems” .. separated by commas):

permalink   Speck Sun, May 19, 2024 @ 5:46 AM
Thank you, that was very helpful information.
And yay! Today everything works. Even parenthesis.
(It still didn’t like when I tried to use the dreamer’s spelling of Göbel-Groß, but that’s understandable if it’s put off by special characters.)

permalink   Apoxode Mon, May 20, 2024 @ 2:54 AM
Thanks for clearing that up mwic, partly I have no view of what users see, lol :)
This is why I’m still a rookie :D
Sorry any confusion Speck, I at least was mostly right (mostly) ;)
Kirkoid
permalink   Sun, May 5, 2024 @ 7:06 AM
How do I log in to MixterPlus? It does not like my ccMixter username and/or password.

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, May 5, 2024 @ 3:53 PM
I sent you a token to loginto Mixterplus. You use the same username, but a different password (which you will need to set). Let us know if you don’t get the email or have any issues.

Thanks.

permalink   Whitewolf Tue, May 28, 2024 @ 7:18 PM
I only just today learned of this event. I too, would like to get involved with this event. I wrote a couple of songs (lyrics only, since I can’t sing worth spit) in a couple of text files related to the Deep Roots concept. How do I join up? I would love to hear someone give my song(s) a workout.

Thanks

permalink   Apoxode Wed, May 29, 2024 @ 1:55 PM
Right on, Whitewolf, this is fantastic! Haven’t seen you in awhile, good to have you back.
To jump in with ccMixter’s Deep Roots, there is material linked here

If you’re interested in joining Mixter Plus, I can get you a token to log in with and get you started.
Deep Roots is also on Mixter Plus, but with different licensing.
This is to accommodate mixters with different license preferences.

Glad to see you either way :)

Kindly,
Apoxode

permalink   Whitewolf Wed, May 29, 2024 @ 4:23 PM
“The username or password you entered didn’t look right.. try again please..”

I can’t log in to upload my lyrics. Probably doesn’t help the event deadline is almost up.

permalink   Apoxode Thu, May 30, 2024 @ 10:40 AM
No worries, Whitewolf, I’ve sent you a link for Mixter Plus :)
There’s plenty of time still, if you have any questions/issues, feel free to use the email address you get the link from, I am sooner available that way.

Kindly,
Apoxode

permalink   Whitewolf Thu, May 30, 2024 @ 11:14 AM
Thank you! All set up, and two sets of my lyrics available to anyone who wants to sing them :-)
Deeplastik
permalink   Mon, Jun 3, 2024 @ 7:43 AM
Hi sackjo22.
I’m Carlos Aka Deplastik
First of all I’m glad to contact you again.
I am trying to enter Mixter Plus, but I do not accept my user and password of CCMIXTER.
You can help?
I am very excited to be part of “Deep Roots Remix Event.”

I wanted to know if it is necessary to create a new Remix, and if so, I would like to use one of your Acapelas or Spoken Words, since I almost always use Snowflake. The last one ”Cut Of Your Head feat. Snowflake (deeplastik remix)”

uploaded: Tue, May 28, 2024 @ 5:34 PM
I don’t tell you to help me hahaha.
Please tell me that Acapela or Spoken Words you would like you to use to try to live up to the project

permalink   SackJo22 Mon, Jun 3, 2024 @ 9:19 AM
I just emailed the mixterplus token/log in info to you. Please let us know if you have any issues.

For this event, remixes of dreams submitted for this event are most welcome! Check out the pells from “Dreamers”. Joanna Kowalewska’s dream, “Everyone Knows Where North Is” has not yet been remixed so we would love a remix of that dream!

Thanks!

permalink   Deeplastik Mon, Jun 3, 2024 @ 2:45 PM
I can’t find: Joanna Kowalewska dream, “Everyone Knows Where North Is”
Where can I download it?

permalink   Deeplastik Mon, Jun 3, 2024 @ 2:49 PM
Sorry…I already found it!!!

permalink   SackJo22 Mon, Jun 3, 2024 @ 2:54 PM
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Jun 8, 2024 @ 7:21 PM
Thank You everybody who participated in creating the Deep Roots sonic installation. This is truly a collaborative piece. We received so many dreams this year from people all over the world. Dreams shared with us by members of the IASD community. Dreams shared with us from the Mixterverse Community. The mixes themselves are evocative, atmospheric, exciting, moving, groovy, and absolutely wonderful for the setting in which these will be played.

Together, we have created a beautiful piece. While I am very sad to not be able to be there live at Rolduc to hear how our music sounds among the art, I am happy to share with you links for the entire curated sonic installation playlist which is now available for streaming on Youtube or Soundcloud.

If you have anything you’d like to share about the experience of working with the dreams, I would love to hear. Meanwhile, dream on.

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, Jun 9, 2024 @ 9:26 AM
p.s. I just heard from one of the IASD dreamers, who is also a speaker at the conference, that she wants to use our music in her presentation! She loves what we created!

permalink   Kara Square Fri, Jun 14, 2024 @ 10:07 AM
Thank you, SackJo22, for bringing the IASD dreamers and the Mixterverse together for this inspired and inspiring remix event. All of the time and energy you shared to make this happen fills my heart with gratitude. And thank you for curating the playlist for us all to enjoy.

Working with Christine Anderson’s dream was an intense experience for me… in a good way… in a connecting way. And working with Admiral Bob’s poem was intense in a different way… Both captured a helplessness… one very intimate, one more far reaching. And both reflected aspects of my life lately. I was drawn to them as I’ve been unable to put my own dreams and feelings into words. So I was extra grateful to be able to participate in different ways than my usual for this project.

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Jun 15, 2024 @ 10:44 AM
Kara thank you so much for sharing, and for being part of this special project. It is wonderful to have you in the mix. I appreciate your generous heart and presence.