New policy: periodic Gmail access renewals

Google has initiated a policy change that requires periodic Gmail access renewals for apps that monitor email via the gmail / oauth2 apis.  This is the essence of the announcement I received:

What do you need to know?

After June 3, 2024, newly granted Gmail access for consumer Google accounts to reporting and monitoring apps will automatically expire after six months. Users must renew permissions for continued access. Any existing Gmail access granted to these apps will expire on July 15, 2024 unless renewed by the user. Users will be able to renew or revoke this access at any time through the “Third-party apps & services'' page on My Account. Users may receive reminders from Google about upcoming access expirations in order to renew them before they expire.

I'd like to better understand the phrase I italicized, "Users may receive reminders from Google".

Getting these reminders to users will help reduce interruptions of service due to the policy change. 

How can we make this so?

Is this something that users select in their settings? 

Is this something we, as developer of an app, can set up in our application?

Solved Solved
0 3 186
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@iwhitman2055 I'm afraid this is a community for commercial Workspace administrators and that announcement is about the consumer gmail service as it notes, "consumer Google accounts."  I think they mean users of gmail not users of Workspace in this scenario and I imagine Google doesn't know how they are going to contact them.  They are likely reacting to some security data.  Is there something I'm missing? -KAM

View solution in original post

@iwhitman2055 exactly.  For Workspace users, I would expect they will NOT directly contact users but rather Admins if such a policy comes to be for that environment. I think that is probably your fear of what they might do 🙂 -KAM

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@iwhitman2055 I'm afraid this is a community for commercial Workspace administrators and that announcement is about the consumer gmail service as it notes, "consumer Google accounts."  I think they mean users of gmail not users of Workspace in this scenario and I imagine Google doesn't know how they are going to contact them.  They are likely reacting to some security data.  Is there something I'm missing? -KAM

Thank you for speedy reply and pointing out "consumer Google accounts".

I think you're correct about Google not knowing how (or if) they'll notify users.  

@iwhitman2055 exactly.  For Workspace users, I would expect they will NOT directly contact users but rather Admins if such a policy comes to be for that environment. I think that is probably your fear of what they might do 🙂 -KAM

Top Labels in this Space